Subscribe via E-Mail

Get all of our news delivered fresh to your inbox every morning! Just tell us your name and where to send it using the form below.

PS – We hate spam too. We don’t sell or share our list with anyone, and we never send commercial email.




luxe
Friday, January 29th, 2016  |  USD: Buy 531.29 / Sell 543.92
20 years

French man killed by houseguests

July 3rd, 2013 (InsideCostaRica.com) A French citizen was killed yesterday by individuals he had apparently invited to his home.  The deceased is 60-year-old Gérard Bigolet.

 

The murder occurred yesterday around 1 a.m. at the man’s house, located in Santa Marta de Montes de Oca, in San José.

 

According to reports by the Judicial Investigation Organization (OIJ), the man’s body was discovered by the son of a friend, also a foreign national, who was spending a few days at the home.

 

The young man told authorities that upon arriving at the home, the security guard told him that there were visitors at the home.   When the young man went to the house, he found at least four individuals.

 

“Arriving (to the home), the man observed several subjects inside, who, noticing his presence, boarded a vehicle that was outside of the house and fled,” reported the OIJ.

 

According to the official report, the young man shouted for help as the suspects fled.

 

The OIJ said the house had been ransacked and several items were packed to be taken away, though the suspects fled before they were able to steal anything.

 

Bigolet’s body was found lying on a bed, gagged and handcuffed.  Police said the cause of death was asphyxiation.

 

Bigolet was a frequent visitor to Costa Rica since 2005, according to immigration reports.  His last entry to the country was on May 27th, when he entered on a tourist visa.

costa rica news

ATTENTION: If you are seeing this message,


Advertisement


Get our news delivered fresh to your inbox every morning.

Click here to subscribe to our email list. We hate spam too and never send commercial email.

Like us on Facebook and receive our news in your timeline

  • georgechapogas

    now murders are something the people want to know about. unfortunately there seems to be big holes in the information to print. i used to live in coco and still have property and friends there. over the last few months i know of 6 to 10 murders in the small community by word of mouth. not detailed. not too trustworthy. instead of phony surveys and the health guy stories how about striving for an accurate total body and robbery count divided by areas or towns. jaco, dominical, coco, tamerindo etc. i wonder if the info is even reliably available on a timely basis. i would guess there would be much more interest in the body count than these other fluff stuff pieces. who out there would prefer a body count over fluff surveys?

  • Tex

    Gated communities are no security. Knowing who you invite into your home. I seems too me crime is way up or reported more here. I sort of agree with George. CR does not want this made to scare off tourist. All be safe beware!

  • georgechapogas

    just got an email from a friend bar owner in coco. last night a known gangster, el gato, was running from other gang punks and went into the cop shop for protection and was shot twice there. now if we do not get reporting that is exactly the type of rumor we get every day. i have been told of many coco murders in the last 2 months, no reporting. how can i know if it is 2nd hand, 3rd hand etc, because the press does not do an accurate body and crime count. since cops don’t talk should not ICR develop stringers in these towns? for those that do not know “stringers” are contacts AP and Reuters use in places they cannot be. tim these are good and fair questions. where r u on this?

    • georgechapogas

      gato was reportedly shot 3 times, my error.

Popular Content