Subscribe via E-Mail

Get all of our news delivered fresh to your inbox every morning! Just tell us your name and where to send it using the form below.

PS – We hate spam too. We don’t sell or share our list with anyone, and we never send commercial email.

Friday, January 29th, 2016  |  USD: Buy 531.29 / Sell 543.92
20 years

World Bank approves $63 million for Costa Rica’s carbon capturing capacity

December 7th, 2012 ( Costa Rica is the first country in the world to receive an approval from the World Bank for a Carbon Fund, which will allow the country to have access to $63 million for the Payment Program for Environmental Services (PSA, in Spanish), which will come from the sale of 12 million tons of carbon capture by the country’s forests, a process known as carbon offset.


The Kyoto Protocol has sanctioned offsets as a way for governments and private companies to earn carbon credits , which can be traded on a marketplace.


According to the Climate Change Council, the funds will provide the possibility of adding 340,000 hectares of protected forests, reforestation, regeneration and agri-forest systems with the capacity of capturing close to 30 million tons of carbon.


The Carbon Fund will purchase 40% of the total capturing capacity of the country, while the remaining 60% is available for sale in the national and international market.


Costa Rica has invested at least $300 million and submitted close to 900,000 hectares to the PSA program, which represents 17% of the national territory.


Individuals, companies, or governments purchase carbon offsets to mitigate their own greenhouse gas emissions from transportation, electricity use, and other sources.


Offsets may be cheaper or more convenient alternatives to reducing one’s own fossil-fuel consumption. However, some critics object to carbon offsets, and question the benefits of certain types of offsets.

costa rica news

ATTENTION: If you are seeing this message,


Get our news delivered fresh to your inbox every morning.

Click here to subscribe to our email list. We hate spam too and never send commercial email.

Like us on Facebook and receive our news in your timeline

    Popular Content