Bolivia to Confiscate Fugitives' Assets
La Paz - Prosecutor Marcelo Soza, who is in
charge of the investigation into terrorism
in Bolivia, said the assets of the indicted
fugitives will be confiscated.
According to Soza, quoted by the newspaper
Cambio, that action is based on the Supreme
Decree 0138 on the confiscation of
properties to people involved in terrorist
actions in the country.
The law establishes the possibility of
confiscating the assets of defectors, said
Soza, adding that the measure was
temporarily hindered when the Supreme Court
in the District of Santa Cruz decided to
suspend the investigation, in a clear
violation of the constitutional principles
and guarantees.
After the ruling, the parliamentary
committee investigating the case presented a
constitutional recourse to the Supreme Court
of Justice, which was completed on Friday.
The fugitives are Hugo Acha, Alejandro
Melgar, Juan Carlos Velarde, Luis Hurtado,
Enrique Vaca and Alejandro Brown, who were
accused by witnesses of funding the gang of
mercenaries that was disarticulated in April
in Santa Cruz.
The armed group, led by Bolivian-Croatian
citizen Eduardo Rozsa Flores, was planning
to create military sedition in Santa Cruz to
break away from the rest of Bolivia. The
group received support from the local
opposition elite, according to the
investigation.
On Thursday, Spanish journalist Julio Cesar
Alonso testified at the Prosecutor's Office
to identify the civic leaders and
businesspeople who were allegedly behind the
conspiracy, including German Antelo, Branco
Marinkovic, Sergio Antelo, Mauricio Roca and
Eduardo Paz.
Previously, Alonso had said he knew Rozsa
Flores, whose steps he had followed since
the early 1990s.
|
|
|
|
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|