Saturday, June 27th, 2015 | USD: Buy 528.81 / Sell 541.11
July 18th, 2014 (InsideCostaRica.com) Four of the six police officers who are under investigation by the Public Prosecutor for allegedly fabricating a crime scene after a shooting incident near the residence of President Luis Guillermo Solís are sticking to their version of events.
Prosecutors and Public Security Minister, Celso Gamboa, believe the officers fabricated a story in which they claim they came under fire from two men on a motorcycle while guarding the home of the President. Prosecutors believe instead the incident occured due to one officer accidentally discharging his firearm, striking another officer in the leg. Gamboa and prosecutors base their assertion on evidence that would suggest that the shot was fired from within the police vehicle.
Gamboa also claimed earlier that the officers were not in fact assigned to be guarding the president’s home.
For their part, the officers – including the officer who was shot – claim they were in fact on duty to guard the president’s home, and claim they are telling the truth in their version of events.
“We will not delve into the facts, we are willing to continue the investigation. Our version has never changed,” said Hector Coto, the officer who was shot in the incident. Coto said he heard gunshots from a speeding motorcycle when he realized he had been hit.
Minor Anchia, a representative of the National Association of Public Employees (ANEP), said Public Security Minister, Celso Gamboa, was wrong to publicly accuse the officers without following due process. “[Gamboa] behaved before the media not as a minister but as a prosecutor,” Anchia said.