May 1st, 2014 (InsideCostaRica.com) Today marks the seventh day that a Cuban man has been “trapped” in San José’s Juan Santamaria International Airport.
Yorvanky Perez de Piña, who has been living in Costa Rica since early 2012, arrived at the airport last Thursday from Havana, where he had spent six months caring for his ill mother, but was refused entry into the country, attorney Eduardo Flores told the EFE news agency earlier this week.
Perez has a provisional refugee ID card and a work permit but both are expired, his lawyer said, adding that Perez had never requested permanent residence despite the fact that he has been married to a Costa Rican woman since April 2012.
“I’m not intending to convert his mistakes into rights, but would rather see that the political constitution is respected, his human rights, the right to a family and his marriage,” Flores said.
Last Friday, Flores along with Perez’s Costa Rican wife, filed a writ of habeas corpus aimed at getting his client released, after which the constitutional court ordered authorities to provide Perez with food and facilities for his personal hygiene and to not deport him while the matter is being resolved.
“I have a room, and they take me out for one hour in the morning and one [hour] in the afternoon,” Perez said of his living conditions in the airport. The airline on which he traveled is reportedly supplying Perez with food.