D.A. asks INTERPOL to track down former minister
December 14th, 2012 (InsideCostaRica.com) The former Minister of Public Works and Transportation (MOPT, in Spanish), Francisco Jimenez, left Costa Rica on Wednesday, after a series of arrests were carried out pertaining to the construction of the road near the Costa Rica – Nicaragua border, known as “La Trocha.”
Immigration Director, Freddy Montero, confirmed that the ex minister departed via the Juan Santamaria International Airport on December 12th, at 2:00 pm. His destination is yet unknown.
The Judicial Investigation Organization (OIJ) arrested 6 people that were linked to “irregularities” in the construction of the border road on Wednesday.
The ex director of CONAVI (National Road Council), Carlos Acosta, two men in charge of the works, Manuel Serrano and Miguel Ramirez, as well as businessmen Giovani Baralis, David Castillo and Johnny Munoz were all arrested on Wednesday.
Patricia Perez, president of the Public Income and Expenses Legislative Commission, who is investigating the irregularities in the construction of the route, stated that the fact that the ex minister left the country is a “bad sign.”
Perez said the ex minister is one of the main persons responsible for the irregularities, though Jimenez has not yet been charged with a crime.
The DA, Juan Carlos Cubillo, said that an alert had been sent to the INTERPOL, “simply to know the whereabouts” of the ex minister, Francisco Jimenez, as a preventive measure. “(We want to) locate him, it is not an arrest order, it is simply to know his location,” he said.
ATTENTION: If you are seeing this message,