November 2nd, 2012 (InsideCostaRica.com) The police operation and investigation carried out by agents in the Robbery department of the Judicial Investigation Organization (OIJ), took much longer than the time the arrested suspects lasted in jail.
On Wednesday, authorities arrested three people in Cartago and Moravia: a 25-year-old young man, his 45-year-old mother, and a sister, 28 years old.
The three are suspects in the planning of an armed robbery against a 50-year-old foreign woman, who was the young man’s girlfriend. The haul of stolen cash, jewelry, and other valuables taken in the robbery is estimated at $400,000.
However, as of yesterday, the court’s press office said that they had not received any request from the District Attorney for the detention of the three individuals.
Apparently, the District Attorney questioned them, and then set them free.
When the District Attorney’s office was asked about the three suspects, they said that the three individuals had been released, and no type of preventive detention or other measures had been requested, indicating that they would later explain the DA’s arguments for not keeping the suspects behind bars.
Investigations carried out by the Judicial Police indicate that the couple had been together for almost two years, and that the young man teamed up with his mother and sister to plan the armed robbery.
After Wednesday’s operation in which the suspects were arrested, the OIJ said that they had confiscated important evidence for their investigation.