October 28th, 2012 (InsideCostaRica.com) – The new Minister of Public Works and Transportation (MOPT), Pedro Castro, will open an internal investigation to determine why the institution was not completely prepared to apply the new Ley de Transito (traffic law) that has been in force since Friday.
Castro said that as of Thursday, the Ministry was behind in purchases and training, and for that, he delegated the inquiry to auditor Irma Gomez.
The minister criticized the fact that the vehicle detention facilities were overflowing with vehicles on Thursday, despite the fact that new norms could mean an even greater amount of vehicles confiscated.
He also asked why training for over 900 officers would not be completed until November 17th. By then, the law will have been in force for 22 days.
Lastly, he reported 100 hand-held breathalyzers were not calibrated on time.
“This was a direct and very (job), there should not have been any delays,” Castro said.
On Wednesday, MOPT spokespersons admitted that the breathalyzer machines would not be ready until this coming Wednesday.
“There is no excuse, this was not a surprise law; we all knew it had been approved, that it had been signed, and that it was in process of being published. It was published on Friday, and everything should have been ready so that the mechanisms could be applied immediately,” said Francisco Chacon, Minister of Communication.