October 25th, 2012 (InsideCostaRica.com) A watchmaker by the last name of Lopez, suspected of having caused a fire in which his wife and grandson died, was discharged from a medical hospital on Monday, and later transferred to a psychiatric hospital.
The man was in the hospital in San Carlos, and left the hospital with a police escort at 1:30 p.m. on Monday.
Lopez is believed to have caused a fire that occurred on Friday, October 12th in Santa Rosa of Pocosol in San Carlos, Alajuela.
In the incident, his wife Margarita Carazo Leiva, 51 years old, as well as his grandson, a nine-year-old child, died.
At the time, Lopez told the authorities that he had ingested a highly toxic pesticide, however, in the San Carlos Hospital this version was refuted.
Lopez only presented first and second degree burns to his arms, legs and part of his face.
The man has now been transferred to the Psychiatric Hospital, in which he will remain for six months.