To the editor:
Obama of course!
1. It’s the economy — we’ve got to pursue a balanced approach towards getting the US economy going, a combination of increased revenues (taxes) and reduced expenditures, in a socially responsible way. The super wealthy don’t need tax cuts.
2. Obamacare is about the best improvement to the US medical system that was possible to achieve. People are already benefitting by it, and there’s more improvements to come. (We will eventually reach a single payer option at some point, like almost all other Western countries, but we’re not ready for that yet.)
3. Preserve womens’ rights to access healthcare including contraception, and leave decisions about abortion to the woman and her physician.
4. With Obama, we will get moderate/progressive justices on the Supreme court. With Romney, we will get conservatives, an overturn of Roe v. Wade, and more disastrous decisions like the Citizen’s United case.
5. Preservation of civil rights, including the right to a civil marriage for same sex couples and equal rights for gays and lesbians to serve in the military.
6. Preservation of the important separation between religion and government.
7. Reasonable, rational cuts to the immense defense budget that keep the country strong, but don’t waste taxpayer funds.
8. Promoting regulations that will reduce the chances for future economic messes like that of 2008.
9. Preservation of universal social security benefits for seniors; Romney/Ryan’s vouchers are a very bad idea.
Philadelphia, PA USA
Editor’s note: This is part of a series in which we are asking readers to write in and tell other readers who they’re voting for, and why. If you’d like to contribute, send your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and town. We’re only allowing ONE letter for this series per reader. Try to make your letter about 200 words or enough to fill an article page.
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Inside Costa Rica.