SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA – September 10th, 2012 – The President of the Republic, Laura Chinchilla is asking the Costa Rican public for funds to help repair the damages caused by Wednesday’s earthquake.
The government will launch a campaign called “Fuerza Costa Rica” (Strength Costa Rica), through which they will take 2,000 donation boxes to the streets across the National territory.
Accounts will also be available at Banco Nacional and Banco Costa Rica to receive donations.
The public may also donate funds by simply sending text messages from their mobile phones by sending the message “Fuerza Costa Rica” to the number 5201 to donate 250 colones or to the number 5210 to donate 1,000 colones.
Communication minister Francisco Chacon said that the money would be used to attend to necessities in Guanacaste, Alajuela and Puntarenas. The minister said the campaign would last one week.
Several countries have also offered Costa Rica aid after the 7.6 earthquake that rocked Costa Rica last week.
Scouts of Costa Rica are currently in charge of collecting the money in the streets, and will continue to do so until this weekend.